Climb Africa's tallest peak via the Machame Route. A challenging but popular route with beautiful views of nearby Meru Peak and the impressive Barranco Wall.
- Hiking up to high Camp on the Machame Route
- Barranco Camp
- Departing Karanga camp on the Machame Route
- Hiking above Shira Camp towards Lava Tower
- Giant Groundsel along the Machame Route
- Enjoying the afternoon at Shira Camp on the Machame Route
- Climbing up the Barranco Wall
Meeting Point: Moshi, Tanzania
Destination: Uhuru Peak - Kilimanjaro
Duration: 10 days
Price: $5300 (+ tax, in USD)
Activity Type: Trekking
Season: January, February, March, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Guide to Guest Ratio: 1 to 8
Difficulty Level: 3 out of 5
Paperwork Required: Registration, Health Form, Risk Acknowledgment
The most popular route on Kilimanjaro!
The Machame route highlights includes great hiking through all the unique ecological zones, fantastic views, and camps that are appropriately spaced for acclimatization. The Machame route is a little shorter and more direct than the Lemosho route and therefore slightly more challenging.
The Machame Gate has a starting elevation of 5,380′, this park entrance has a well developed picnic area complete with restrooms for guests to enjoy while your guide sorts out permits with the park rangers.
From the Machame gate we’ll start our climb through Kilimanjaro’s rain forest to the Shira Plateau, from here the route converges with the Lemosho route. The Machame route features the impressive Barranco Wall and Lava Tower, both well known landmarks found on Mt. Kilimanjaro and unique to the Machame and Lemosho routes. From the Barranco Wall guests often stop to enjoy the scenic view including a look at the nearby Meru Peak.
The Machame Route is a unique and unforgettable experience!
MOSHI: Our trips begin in the city of Moshi, located just a short drive from the Machame gate and offering views of the mountain when not obscured by lenticular clouds. Guests often opt for our guided tours of Moshi, experiencing the vibrant marketplace, historic buildings, and the opportunity to pick up souvenirs from your trip to Tanzania.
SPRINGLANDS HOTEL: Enjoy luxurious accommodations before and after your trip. The Springlands hotel features a swimming pool, bar, lounge area, and buffet style meals served three times a day (breakfast included with your stay).
GETTING TO THE MOUNTAIN: Day 1 of our journey up Kilimanjaro features a short drive to the Machame Gate. After sorting out permitting and local support with the park rangers we’ll begin our trek to the first camp.
CLIMATE ZONES: Kilimanjaro features 5 distinct climate zones. Our initial drive to the Machame Gate will take us through fertile plantations. We’ll start the trek in the rainforest before ascending to the heather or moorland zone. As we continue to gain elevation we’ll encounter Kilimanjaro’s highland desert, home to volcanic rock fields and unique vegetation. Finally we’ll ascend into the arctic or summit zone, home to Kilimanjaro’s famous glaciers.
OUR GUIDES:Mountain Guides International guides are professionals.They are dedicated to insuring our guests an experience that exceeds their expectations!
Every Kili trip that we lead draws on the experience of more than 20 years of guiding high altitude trips on Denali, Aconcagua, Kilimanjaro, The Volcanoes of Ecuador / Mexico, and high altitude peaks of the Himalayas.
The Machame Route is a 10 day itinerary, including travel and rest days in Moshi.
MGI factors travel and rest days in Moshi into our itinerary to help ensure optimal acclimatization and enjoyment of your time on Kilimanjaro.
Here is an overview of the Machame itinerary:
– TRAVEL: Depending on flight times and connections, travel to Moshi, Tanzania typically takes over 24 hours from the U.S. including a stop in Amsterdam or London. Please be sure your arrival in Tanzania coordinates with the first day of the program.
DAY 1: TRAVEL DAY This is the start date indicated with all our trips. We’ll pick you up from Kilimanjaro International Airport, flights from Western countries typically arrive around 9:00pm local time. The drive from the airport to the Springlands hotel is about 45 minutes. We’ll get you settled in to your accommodations and give you details on breakfast and the Day 2 itinerary.
DAY 2: MOSHI After a long travel day you’ll have the opportunity to rest and relax at the Springlands Resort. Your guide will coordinate a group meeting where we’ll cover introductions, answer questions about the trip, and ensure everyone has all the necessary gear. Guided tours of Moshi can be arranged by your guide through the Springlands staff, it is a great opportunity to see Moshi and pick up souvenirs.
DAY 3: MACHAME CAMP(9,750 ft) After breakfast we will drive about an hour to the Machame gate, which is the start of the climb. Here we sign in with the national park authorities and begin hiking. The trail here is in great shape and winds uphill through the tropical rainforest for 5 to 6 hours before reaching Machame Hut. The views from our first camp are fantastic.
DAY 4: SHIRA PLATEAU(12,480 ft) We typically depart Machame Camp at about 8 a.m. and enter alpine vegetation shortly thereafter. In the distance we can see the first close-up of the snow-capped summit. This is a great day of gradual hiking through fields of heather. At around 10,000 ft. we begin to see the first Lobelia, Protea and giant Senecia plants. This is another 5 to 6 hour day.
DAY 5: BARRANCO CAMP (12,850 ft) Today we hike up over a high ridge, and then descend to Barranco camp. This day includes a stop near the Lava Tower where we’ll enjoy lunch in our covered dining tent. Our camping elevation does not change much, but the hike to almost 14,000 feet, helps with acclimatization. Barranco camp has a great view to the south over Moshi.
DAY 6: KARANGA VALLEY (13,200 ft) Most groups will move to Barafu camp on this day. However, we believe its best to spend an extra day at Karanga to aid in acclimatization and to make the summit day easier. This is a 4-hour day.
DAY 7 : BARAFU CAMP(14,950 ft) We reach Barafu in about 4 hours. Here we will have lunch, and rest until dinner. Then we will sleep until midnight, when we’ll mobilize for summit day!
DAY 8 – SUMMIT DAY: Rising early, groups enjoy a light breakfast before hitting the trail. It will take 6 or 7 hours to reach the crater rim. Sunrise on the summit crater is going to be something to remember forever. The sun rising over the plains of Africa and diffuse lighting on the nearby glaciers is truly a world class experience. We will continue along the rim for another hour or two before reaching the highest point in Africa, (19,340 ft). Congratulations! We’ll enjoy the view from Uhuru peak before beginning our descent back to Barafu Camp where we’ll enjoy a meal and some rest before continuing down the normal route to our last camp on Kilimanjaro.
DAY 9 – RETURN TO MOSHI In the morning we’ll depart camp for the park gates, it usually takes 3 hours from Millenium Camp to exit the park. We’ll meet up with our ride back to town and sign out with the park rangers, receiving summit certificates to commemorate your achievement in reaching the summit! Back at the Springlands Resort you’ll get settled in, enjoy a refreshing shower and a well deserved beverage.
DAY 10 – DEPARTURES/SAFARI We’ll arrange your transfer from Springlands to the airport or out onto your safari.
For a complete look at the itinerary click this link.
Who are my guides?
MGI provides professional American guides. All guides are medically trained and experienced at high altitude. The guides know how to foster a fun trip while making safety a top priority. In addition to American guides, we hire local guides, cooks, and porters to help support our trips. We work closely with our trusted local partner to ensure a high quality trip.
What is the weather like in Moshi? What about on Kilimanjaro?
Moshi is a tropical climate, with rainfall amounts varying from summer (wetter) to winter (drier). The average temperature in Moshi is around 74 degrees Fahrenheit.
How much weight will I carry?
Local porters will carry most of our equipment throughout the climb. You can expect to carry daypacks with warm layers, rain gear, water, and snacks.
This is just a short list of the most commonly asked questions. Please visit our complete FAQ guide by clicking the link here to see additional FAQs.
- Trip Itinerary – Printable detailed trip itinerary.
- Equipment List – Overview of personal clothing and equipment that you’ll need for this trip.
- Rental Gear List – List of gear, and personal items available for rent
- Registration Form – Outlines policies, and essential information. One required per participant.
- Health Form – This form enables our guides to have accurate health information in the event of an emergency.
- Land Waiver – One required per participant over the age of 18.
- Travel Info – Helpful information on how to get to/from Tanzania.
Price: $5300 (+ tax, in USD)
Start Dates: Jan - Mar / June - Dec
What is included in the trip price:
- Moshi – includes hotel stay, airport/town transfers, and welcome dinner.
- Expedition food – all food while climbing Kilimanjaro.
- Climbing Fees – includes climbing and hut fees
- Professional guides / local support – Professional guides and porter support all included with the trip cost
Guests are responsible for the following:
- Airfare – Guests are responsible for travel expenses to Tanzania
- Restaurant Food in town & Alcohol – We are happy to recommend places to eat in town
- Trip insurance – we highly recommend trip insurance for all of our programs.
- Visa – You’ll need a tourist visa for your time in Tanzania. We recommend acquiring this in advance.
- Tips – We recommend $250 – $300 per climber to split among the local African staff, and another $50 – $100 for your American guide
- Optional Safari – All Kilimanjaro treks can be combined with a safari package, contact us for further details!
To Book your adventure, follow the steps below:
- Please call to confirm availability at 1-800-766-3396 or fill out an online form to request more information via this link:
- Place a $500 deposit to reserve your spot: this can be place over the phone by credit card, check in the mail, or through our payment gateway.
- Once you’ve reserved your spot, you’ll receive a welcome packet with all the necessary registration forms and trip information.
- We kindly ask that you submit all of the necessary trip registration information at least 45 days prior to your trip.
Feel free to call or email anytime if you have questions about your upcoming trip. Our team is excited to help you prepare for your adventure!
One of a kind adventure! It was a challenging day, but an incredible experience I'll remember forever. John was a great guide; personable and always safety conscious.
- Roger P.